nms_insanity_v1

Forums Game Forums No More Room In Hell nms_insanity_v1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Acegoat
    Participant
      • @acegoat

No Achievements Yet!

Hello.

I am coming to your community to offer you a map I am currently working on, I have been working on it for 4 days. Here are some pictures for you (Tell me what I should add!):

Spawn:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105682800

————————————————————————

Lobby (Going to improve the front desk):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105682853

————————————————————————

One of the two entrances to Zone A and supply drop area:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105682937

————————————————————————

Inside Zone A (Going to add a lot more stuff!):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105683005

————————————————————————

A hallway:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105683074

Tell me what I should add or improve!

Thanks.

Wickk
        • @wickk

No Achievements Yet!

Are you asking in a mapper’s persepctive or what?

Acegoat
        Participant
          • @acegoat

No Achievements Yet!

Wickk at October 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Are you asking in a mapper’s persepctive or what?

I am asking what anyone thinks, what as a player of the map you would like me to add or improve on.

CPT QuaG
          Keymaster
            • @cpt-quag
              • Topic Scout Icon
              • Topic Slinger Icon
              • Topic Trailblazer Icon
              • Topic Adventurer Icon

Acelin, we would be more than happy to sponsor this map on our server(s).  I will get you a link to the texture file that has our logo.  So far your map is looking pretty good.  Can you give a brief description of the map, do you have a home on gamebanana where you are working on this (not necessary) and is there anything you need specifically from the community?  Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Wickk
              • @wickk

No Achievements Yet!

oh, ok. I can’t be of much help. I’ve never played the map.

Acegoat
              Participant
                • @acegoat

No Achievements Yet!

CPT QuaG at October 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Acelin, we would be more than happy to sponsor this map on our server(s).  I will get you a link to the texture file that has our logo.  So far your map is looking pretty good.  Can you give a brief description of the map, do you have a home on gamebanana where you are working on this (not necessary) and is there anything you need specifically from the community?  Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Hey.

The map is based in a hospital as you can proberly tell, and the story of how the virus broke out here is that a young girl around the age of 17 died from a vicous murder by her uncle and then she wants revenge on him (You can make up the rest if you wish, i’m not good at stories) I would like that texture file as I will put your logo at spawn to hopefully stop people stealing the map. No I don’t have Gamebanana.

Thanks.

Aharmlesskitten
                  • @aharmlesskitten

No Achievements Yet!

looks like a very nice layout! looking forword to what you have in store for us!

Acegoat
                  Participant
                    • @acegoat

No Achievements Yet!

Aharmlesskitten at October 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

looks like a very nice layout! looking forword to what you have in store for us!

Thanks for the response! Just to let you know the map should be ready tomorrow, if not tomorrow then the following day. Just done some more room and added more details, got less then a quarter left to go on the map, it may even be ready tonight.

EDIT: The map will be named nms_insanity_v1

CPT QuaG
                    Keymaster
                      • @cpt-quag
                        • Topic Scout Icon
                        • Topic Slinger Icon
                        • Topic Trailblazer Icon
                        • Topic Adventurer Icon

Outstanding!  If you need a logo texture for MMNB, please look here (look at the bottom of the page, I am still figuring out a home for this):

Logo Texture

Acegoat
                      Participant
                        • @acegoat

No Achievements Yet!

Hey, Just updated the some apart of the map, have a look at the change between the updated and old!

New:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105702686

————————————————————

Old:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105683074

DrLeonSisk
                          • @drleonsisk

No Achievements Yet!

Glad to see another mapper join the community, i can’t tell you how much your effort in making a map is appreciated.

If you’re shooting for the beginning of the epidemic or the release of the virus in a area not ravaged by it yet, the place is going to have to be bloody and the building deteriorated slightly. The hospital could have been a warzone as the infection spread inside and was attempted to be contained.  Bloodsplattered walls, and military bodies scattered around the hospital itself could show proof of this.

Something that would be great for the sign of destruction could be a helicopter crash site directly into a wall. (Resident evil 2 inspired that idea, wonderful game.)

For the spawn, you could put chairs on the side of both walls.In the back, have 2 glass planes on the left and right, and a glass double door in the middle to show the “enterance” but will have been closed with a metal shutter to prevent the dead from getting inside from there. And there our unlucky survivors begin their survival, facing toward the bloody singular (Or, double)  wooden door to the lobby.

I could think of more things if you wish.

Hypnosis
                          Participant
                            • @hypnosis-2

No Achievements Yet!

Design: it is okay. The texture scale you choose for some parts gives the rooms a weird dimension. Also, if you are going to have rooms that are large scale you need to make sure you have areas in the map that fit to a standard realistic scale to give it a foundation. This can be be done by having some rooms have different dimensions, or by adding func_detail beams or something.

Optimization: this is the most critical section. I am impressed that you are working on an indoor environment instead of a open skybox map. If you are going to add a supply drop then make sure you have an enclosed skybox to the map.

New mapper suggestions:

– Never have an open box skybox surrounding your level, seriously. If you are going to add a skybox make sure it fits in to the level. This is very simple.

– Make use of func_detail. Every brush that is not the walls, the ceiling, or the floor should be func_detail. A normal brush room generates a portal. Portals are what tells the engine you are in a room. Try to design your level so that you have corridors preventing visibility to portals if you can.

– Make sure the texture faces are optimized. When you are making a brush you generally want to start off with the toolsnodraw texture and then only texture the face that will be seen in the level.

http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=intro

This site explains it in more detail. You must learn this. It is very simple.

Final note: You need to spend more time. This is just a few walls with textures on them. You say that you are going to release this as it is? This is not good work.

Acegoat
                            Participant
                              • @acegoat

No Achievements Yet!

DrLeonSisk at October 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Glad to see another mapper join the community, i can’t tell you how much your effort in making a map is appreciated.

If you’re shooting for the beginning of the epidemic or the release of the virus in a area not ravaged by it yet, the place is going to have to be bloody and the building deteriorated slightly. The hospital could have been a warzone as the infection spread inside and was attempted to be contained.  Bloodsplattered walls, and military bodies scattered around the hospital itself could show proof of this.

Something that would be great for the sign of destruction could be a helicopter crash site directly into a wall. (Resident evil 2 inspired that idea, wonderful game.)

For the spawn, you could put chairs on the side of both walls.In the back, have 2 glass planes on the left and right, and a glass double door in the middle to show the “enterance” but will have been closed with a metal shutter to prevent the dead from getting inside from there. And there our unlucky survivors begin their survival, facing toward the bloody singular (Or, double)  wooden door to the lobby.

I could think of more things if you wish.

Thanks for the reply and ideas. I love the idea of the crashed helicopter through the roof! The hospital is very bloody and has lots of deaad bodies around. For the spawn I have already got the double doors for the entrance which have a clip and are blocked by two police cars a burnt fire engine and a ambulance. I will has chairs and stuff like that to the spawn.

Acegoat
                              Participant
                                • @acegoat

No Achievements Yet!

Fathom at October 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Design: it is okay. The texture scale you choose for some parts gives the rooms a weird dimension. Also, if you are going to have rooms that are large scale you need to make sure you have areas in the map that fit to a standard realistic scale to give it a foundation. This can be be done by having some rooms have different dimensions, or by adding func_detail beams or something.

Optimization: this is the most critical section. I am impressed that you are working on an indoor environment instead of a open skybox map. If you are going to add a supply drop then make sure you have an enclosed skybox to the map.

New mapper suggestions:

– Never have an open box skybox surrounding your level, seriously. If you are going to add a skybox make sure it fits in to the level. This is very simple.

– Make use of func_detail. Every brush that is not the walls, the ceiling, or the floor should be func_detail. A normal brush room generates a portal. Portals are what tells the engine you are in a room. Try to design your level so that you have corridors preventing visibility to portals if you can.

– Make sure the texture faces are optimized. When you are making a brush you generally want to start off with the toolsnodraw texture and then only texture the face that will be seen in the level.

http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=intro

This site explains it in more detail. You must learn this. It is very simple.

Final note: You need to spend more time. This is just a few walls with textures on them. You say that you are going to release this as it is? This is not good work.

Thanks for the response and great advice. There are some huge rooms that are not needed, I am having a problem at the moment finding a good area to put the zombie spawners as they are way to close to the zones. i’m going to move Zone B and move it closer to Zone A and then put the zombies spawning in the hallways area.

Thanks.

Acegoat
                                Participant
                                  • @acegoat

No Achievements Yet!

Really sorry for the triple post, just wanted to say it will be released to day in about 4-6 hours, currently i’m at my mums and I have the worst internet possible and will take a very long time to upload the map for the owner to get, so when I get back to my dads I will have my epic Virgin Superhub. :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password